Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Scope and Sequence

I was looking up curriculum today, just for the hell of it, to see if any of it appealed to me (it hasn't in the past). I was struck by how.. unfun using a curriculum would be. What a way to take all the fun out of something. Then, for the hell of it, I looked up the science scope and sequence in Massachusetts for students in pre-k through second grade. Here is what children need to learn before they enter third grade, in its entirety:

1.Sort objects by observable properties such as size, shape, color, weight, and texture.
2.Identify objects and materials as solid, liquid, or gas. Recognize that solids have a definite shape and that liquids and gases take the shape of their container.
3.Describe the various ways that objects can move, such as in a straight line, zigzag, back-and-forth, round-and-round, fast and slow.
4.Demonstrate that the way to change the motion of an object is to apply a force (give it a push or a pull). The greater the force, the greater the change in the motion of the object.

Wow.. I hope I can manage all that by the time my child turns 8.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Jen said...

The suggested curriculum is so easy... I think most kids know this by the end of kindergarten. You could probably teach them of this in a week!
It is good to have it in the back of your head. I like looking at the list of yearly goals b/c sometimes it includes things I never thought of.

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

It is helpful to have an idea of what might be good topics to bring up, but some of it I find completely ridiculous. The history curriculum especially.. who cares if they learn about the Mayflower vs early Egyptians in first grade?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home