Saturday, July 07, 2007

Dinosaur Ladders

The boys were coloring yesterday, and Colwyn told me he wanted to draw a picture of a train. I asked if he wanted to write 'Thomas' at the top, which he did. I wrote it out for him on a separate paper and he copied it onto his, quite well in fact. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture.. maybe I'll add one later. As he was making the 'h' we started talking about ladders, and he decided he wanted to draw a ladder instead of a train. After writing out 'Thomas' he drew his ladder, then said, "It's going to be a dinosaur ladder!" and drew an adorable little stick-figure Apatosaurus next to the ladder.

The upside to spending so much time coloring is that Lachlann is already learning his colors. He'll pick up a crayon and try to identify the color for me (without me prompting him, btw) and is right maybe.. half the time. If I tell him, "Oh, Lachlann, that's a pretty blue crayon," he'll respond with, "Oh, blue, okay."

I'm at work now (days), but when I get home and the kids wake up from their nap, we're going to the library, woohoo! I know, I'm such a geek. I've been rereading all the Harry Potter books in anticipation of the new (last) one coming out and it occured to me as I was reading the other day that I'm setting a good example for the kids. They see me reading fairly often, although the vast majority of what I read is either online (news, blogs, fanfic, etc) or during the hours that they're asleep. But this past week I've been reading more in front of them and I'm pleased that my leisure activity benefits them as well.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I am working today too! kind of quiet around here.
Isn't it amazing how much the little ones learn from the older ones? Corinne learned her colors and abc's while I was working with Marcus.
I am so off track with the at home learning this month and the kids are off the wall b/c they are off their routine. I have to get on the ball this week!
I always read while they play outside (still chipping away at my "read more than george bush new year's resolution") and we have 20 mins of read alone time every day. I read by myself and they usually make up a story to go along with the pictures in their own book.

I should really re-read the HP books b/c I always forget little details between book releases.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I try to read when we're outside, but outside play for us means lots of splashing in the kiddie pool, and it's not always a good environment for books. ;)

I can't believe how low the census is at the hospital, it's absolutely crazy. Thank god for the internet, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home