Saturday, April 21, 2007

Worries

So, I do occasionally worry about how well we're doing. It doesn't happen that often, and I'm loathe to admit it, but when I read about a 3 year old who reads Dickens and does algebra (okay, not really, but you know what I mean), I do sometimes reconsider our philosophy and homeschooling style.

I suppose that's a good thing, though. Would I be a responsible parent if I didn't stop and consider what I was doing along the way? Things change, and one of the best parts about homeschooling is the flexibility.

Colwyn isn't particularly interested in letters and numbers right now. He likes dinosaurs, space, singing, airplanes, and a host of other things. We learn about those things throughout the day, and I incorporate some math and pre-reading activities into our play. But I don't make him sit down and trace letters or count out objects on worksheets (although sometimes he does want to do that stuff). The way I look at it, if he can learn about dinosaurs so easily right now, think of how easily he'll learn all the letters and numbers when he's interested.

Better to hold off than cause battles, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home