Friday, February 09, 2007

Love of Reading

Tomorrow we're planning on taking the kids to the library. We normally go every other week or so to get new books. I figure two weeks is a good amount of time for each book to get read several times (we usually get lots of books), which I think helps Colwyn learn more from the story. After all, if they can show the same Blues Clues 5 days in a row, Colwyn can read a book every other day for two weeks, right?

We usually read one book at naptime and three to four books at bedtime. The kids also usually bring me at least two (if not half a dozen) books to read randomly throughout the day. Some of our favorite books are:

One Dark Night (Lisa Wheeler)
Sailor Moo (Lisa Wheeler)
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and other Pigeon books (Mo Willems)
Owl Moon (Jane Yolen)
How Do Dinosaurs Eat/Say Goodnight/Get Well Soon (Jane Yolen)
Night Pirates (Peter Harris)
Bubble Bath Pirates (Jarrett Krosoczka)
Where the Sidewalk Ends (Shel Silverstein)
New Kid On the Block (Jack Prelutsky)
I Dreamt I Was a Dinosaur (Stella Blackstone and Clare Beaton)
The Gruffalo (Julia Donaldson)
No, David - and other David books (David Shannon)
Click Clack Moo (Doreen Cronin)
Polar Express (Chris Van Allsburg)
The Z was Zapped (Chris Van Allsburg)
If You Give A Mouse A Cookie (Laura Numeroff)

I absolutely love children's books, and while I did okay with the better board books (Audrey Wood's, Eric Carle's, Sandra Boynton's, Byron Barton's, and a few others), I'm really enjoying reading "real" books to the boys. The kids enjoy books a lot, too, even if I'm not reading to them.. several times a day they'll pull books off their bookshelves and look through the pictures. What I'm really looking forward to is reading chapter books aloud with the kids. But on the other hand, I'm enjoying having a good excuse to read children's books. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home