Sunday, September 30, 2007

Reading!

Colwyn is sounding out words! I'm so proud, probably more than an unschooling mom should be, but hey, this kid is fantastic.

Okay, so it's not like he's going to be reading books on his own anytime soon, and to be honest, most of the sounding out he does isn't looking at letters, it's me saying, "sss eh ttt" and he says, "set!" But when we play a matching game with these foam letters we have, I'll point at the 's' and he'll say "sss" and when I point at the 'e' he'll say "eh" and so on. Then he says it fast. Sometimes he's unsure and will ask me to tell him what sound the letter makes, but when he does that, if I prompt him with, "the 'h' says..." he'll always fill it in for me.

If I can get my act together tomorrow, we'll start working on Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger chanale said...

How exciting!

By the way, I've very much enjoyed reading your blog. :)

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Nora said...

I didn't start college until my older son was three weeks old. He wanted attention all the time so I would read my college textbooks out loud to him. It slowed me down but at least I could get something done.

When he was about seven months old, I was sitting on the floor when he crawled over to me, dragging one of his books. He threw it at me, then climbed on to to my lap. He was asking me to read to him! He, too, was an early reader.

The only advice I have for new parents is to read to your baby from the very beginning.

Grandma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home