Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fan Mail

Following the advice of Esmé Raji Codell in her book How to Get Your Child to Love Reading, we've always included the author's name when we start reading a book (like, "Okay, here's Owl Moon, by Jane Yolen"). So Colwyn knows which authors he likes best, and often impresses nearby librarians when they hear him saying, "Oh, let's look for a book by David Shannon now."

So, anyway. His favorite author BY FAR is Dan Yaccarino. He absolutely loves Zoom! Zoom! Zoom! I'm Off to the Moon, and we have a few of his books at home in addition to the ones we get regularly from the library. The other night, at about 11:30pm, I mentioned something to my husband about Dan Yaccarino, so he had the bright idea to see if he was going to be doing any book signings that we might be able to attend. We ended up spending a good 15 minutes browsing his website, and I got the bright idea to ask Colwyn if he wanted to send him a letter (we try to write letters/draw pictures to send to friends/family once a week).

Yesterday I went to look up his address on the website and couldn't find it, so I emailed him.. nervously, shyly, because in our house, Dan Yaccarino is like a HUGE celebrity. And today he emailed me back.

I was beyond thrilled. The kids are sleeping but I actually called my husband at work and practically shouted over the phone that Dan Yaccarino himself emailed us. Funnily enough, Colwyn had asked him a question (he dictated to me) about a picture he saw of Dan Yaccarino dressed up as an astronaut, and it turns out that he retired from NASA to write/illustrate children's books. Colwyn will be so impressed.

Yes, I know, I'm such a dork. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home